132) Slc. Hsin Buu Lady 'Y.T.' Anceps hybrid! Beautiful! In Sheath! BUDDED! WoW!
$24.00 (3 Bids)
Time Remaining: 14h 36m
BIN- Slc. Hsin Buu Lady 'Y.T.' Anceps hybrid! Limitet Stock! Collectors Item!
Time Remaining: 20d 21h 1m
Buy It Now for only: $29.99
Orchids: Back to basics means ease and enjoyment
Contrary to popular opinion (not very popular with orchid growers, however) is that orchids are difficult to grow. Too many people believe mythology when it comes to growing and caring for orchids. They think it's just too difficult to grow them and not worth the trouble.
First of all, anything as beautiful as an orchid is always worth the trouble. And second, growing orchids is no trouble at all, when you know what you're doing. They really are some of the easiest and most rewarding plants you can grow.
So let's get down to the basics and start growing – and enjoying – the beauty and fragrance of orchids in your home and garden.
Some "did you know" background information
While some species of orchids enjoy cooler conditions, many species do very well in temperatures that are around 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit (24 degrees C – 29.4 degrees C).
While some species of orchids will bloom once a year, other species will bloom several times a year and some even bloom continuously.
While some species of orchid plants have a subtle fragrance other species are extremely strong. The scents can range from fruity to flowery. More amazing is the fact that many orchids have familiar aromas such as chocolate, raspberry, coconut, lilac or citrus.
Finally, while some orchids are better left to experienced or expert growers others can be easily grown even by novice orchid enthusiasts.
The Phalaenopsis orchid – a novice's best friend
You'll find Phalaenopsis orchid thriving in environments ranging from a home or office to greenhouse and outdoor. Not only is it easy to grow, it lasts a long time. Both the plant itself and its blooms. From the time that the first Phalaenopsis bud opens, its flowering sprays will remain in bloom for the upwards of three months.
The basics of basic care for your orchid
There really are only seven basic steps to remember to keep your orchid healthy, beautiful and thriving in your home and/or garden environment. Take these to heart and you'll enjoy your orchids for a long, long time.
- Buy your orchids from reputable suppliers
- Plant your orchids in bark rather than typically potting soil.
- They can also be grown in New Zealand sphagnum moss.
- Don't plant your orchid in typical potting soil because it cuts off air circulation at the roots and blocks the drainage of the water.
- Plant your orchids in pots that provide good drainage.
- Water your orchids about two or three times a week, depending on species and season
- During the summer, your orchid plant may need to be watered more frequently about every four to five days.
- A good rule of thumb to follow is the more heat, the more water you should give your orchid. The less heat, the less amount of water.
- Orchid plants that are potted in New Zealand sphagnum moss should be water less often than those planted in bark.
- Depending on the species of orchid, they prefer a lot of light that is not too strong.
- Dappled light is best for most orchids. Since many orchid species can be found naturally in tropical conditions, they are used to receiving both shade and sun.
- They do very well sitting in an east facing window.
- Orchids that are suffering from either too much light will display yellowing leaves. If this occurs you should increase the shade that your orchid receives.
- Fertilize your orchid plants on a regular basis, about every other week
- Yellowing of orchid leaves may also indicate insufficient feeding.
- Water your orchid plant before applying your diluted nutrient solution if the potting media is dry.
Now, how easy is that? The only thing that is easier is sitting back and admiring your orchid's beauty and fragrance. Oh, and it's also easy to listen to your friends' compliments about their beauty as well.
Give your orchids easy, basic care and they will repay you with amazing, long-lasting beauty.
About the Author
The above are just a sampling of the valuable and easy to follow guidance Patianna provides in her newest book, "Growing Amazing Orchids – Easy as 1-2-3". Learn more about the easy way to grow and care for orchids...and to get the most enjoyment.
Patianna is a successful entrepreneur with a passion for orchids. An orchid enthusiast for much of her adult life, her goal is to erase the mythological barriers that would stop anyone from growing and enjoying orchids in their home and or garden because they may think it's too difficult.